Thursday, July 9, 2009

Message to Amazon: moms are Kindle people too

Hey you!
Amazon!
Kindle makers!
Over here!
Look at me!
Okay, so I'm not a business traveler looking for a good airplane read; I'm not a corporate something-or-another perusing stock quotes while racing to yoga class; and I'm not a techie who needs the latest gadget.
I'm a mom, a mom of four young kids.
And I am your market.
You just don't know it yet.
Think about it.
I had a career once. I was a journalist. I was in the know all the time and it was great. I was childless too and, in my spare time, when I wasn't running or hiking or barbecuing or taking classes, I was reading novels.
I miss it.
I still read the newspaper every day, or at least some of it.
I read magazines in the kitchen while I'm cooking, or in bed at night when I can't fall asleep.
I still read novels.
I need novels.
Sometimes, I keep one on each floor of the house so I can pick up a book whenever I get a few minutes.
What I don't have is something small and convenient that I can pull out of my purse (or diaper bag) on a rainy day while the twins are watching Blues Clues on the DVD player and I'm waiting behind the wheel for the school bus, which seems to always be late on rainy days.
I don't have anything for traffic jams, or for Jump Joey's when the twins are having so much fun on the play mats in the fully enclosed room that I actually find I have a few minutes or maybe even an hour to myself.
I don't have anything for the doctor's office (the grown-up kind) when I'm so engrossed in giving directions to the sitter as I slip out the door that I forget to bring a book. I don't have anything for those days when I finish a novel and I can't get to the library or the bookstore immediately to pick up another.
And I need another.
Now.
I don't want to read news shorts on a Blackberry or check my email from my cell phone or sing along with Blues Clues.
I don't want to chat on my cell phone with a friend.
I want to choose a novel, download it immediately and read it right away.
I want a Kindle.
Are you listening?
Are you looking?
Please?
Can I have a Kindle?

No comments: